Hesley Group seeks to take a positive and measured approach to risk management. In so doing, we aim to provide services that enable people to make choices - and to take part in daily living and other activities that extend their life experience in enjoyable and meaningful ways. To support these aims we seek to recognise and properly assess risks as part of a proportionate approach. In other words, we look to balance these risks with our responsibilities to the person themselves and those with whom they have contact - and with requirements for safeguarding children and adults, care standards and health and safety legislation, for example.
To achieve positive outcomes we aim to use properly designed, effective processes that identify and assess risk; and to evaluate the best and most appropriate measures to reduce the chance of an adverse event occurring. Specifically, we aim for:
- Managers, practitioners and other staff to be well supported through the provision of guidance, training and practical skills and tools for identifying, assessing and managing risk;
- Risk assessment and management to be undertaken and regularly reviewed by staff competent and of a level consistent with the nature and scale of risk;
- The organisation to learn through the timely and effective review of incidents and other relevant information, through clear reporting procedures for example;
- Clear documentation of information and decisions;
- Actions to be implemented through procedures outlined in appropriate policies and guidance.
To positively support people, we recognise and accept that there are risks that cannot be avoided but can be minimised through appropriate preparation, including through discussion with the person themselves and those important to that person, such as family, carers, professionals and other staff, from within as well as outside Hesley Group.
There is a considerable body of information about risk management in the Hesley Group Individual Risk Assessment and Management Policy and associated Practice Guidance, which draws together the thinking underpinning our approach in this area. A copy of this policy is available upon request.